Saturday, June 25, 2016

King James Version of the Bible and ISD 519-2 -17 - 1

I’ve posted before that my preference is for the King James Version of the Bible as it is like a comfortable old friend. There is something very special about reading the words of the Lord when He says “Verily, verily I say unto thee.” Also, it is my understanding that any deficiencies in the KJV are well known.
My Kindle Fire, Galaxy Note 4 cell phone and PC are just the most recent in a long line of electronic tools that I use/ used with Bible software. Actually my first electronic Bible goes back a decade or so and was a Franklin Electronic Bible. I currently use e-sword with PC Windows and Strong’s with KJV by Trcarta with Kindle and Galaxy Android. There are several versions of the Bible available with both operating systems, however, the ISV is not one of them.
During Bible studies I usually keep my Kindle “turned” to the chapter being studied. I use the Galaxy as we flip from one relevant passage to another, much faster than flipping through the pages of a hard copy Bible. That’s the good news. The bad news is so far the only electronic Bible software that I have found with quick links to Strong’s is the King James Version of the Bible. So once more it’s the KJV for me the majority of the time.
The ISV has its strong points. Kindle format ISV has Footnotes embedded in the text and can be read by clicking on them. For example, Deuteronomy 34:5, "So Moses, the servant of the LORD, died there in the land of Moab, just as the LORD had said. 6" 6 34: 5 Lit. Moab, according to the word of the LORD Click 6 to return to the passage.
The following list of the uniqueness of the ISV is as quoted from The ISV Foundation Committee on Translation (2011-05-01). The Holy Bible: International Standard Version (Kindle Location 159). Davidson Press, LLC. Kindle Edition.
“1. The ISV is a New Translation, Not a Revision The ISV is a totally new work translated directly from the original languages of Scripture and derived from no other English translation.
2. The ISV is a Computer-Friendly Translation YES!
3. The ISV is Sensitive to Poetic Forms in the Original Text. The ISV treats subtle nuances of the original texts with special care.
4. The ISV is Sensitive to Literary Forms in the Original Text The ISV treats synoptic parallels with special sensitivity.
5. The ISV is Sensitive to Conservative, Modern Textual Scholarship The ISV includes the latest scholarly analysis of the Dead Sea Scrolls
6. The ISV is a Literal-Idiomatic Translation
The goal of an idiomatic translation is to achieve the closest natural equivalent in modern language to match the ideas of the original text.”
Again, the KJV is my preference, however, as I use the ISV perhaps it will become a comfortable new friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment