Friday, June 10, 2016

Nehemiah's approach to prayer 513 - 5 - 5

Hanani, one of Nehemiah's brethren shared with him that "the wall of Jerusalem also is broken down, and the gates thereof are burned with fire." Like Daniel, Nehemiah went to his prayer closet.
Nehemiah 1:4, “And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven,” Nehemiah said,” I beseech thee, O LORD God of heaven, the great and terrible God, that keepeth covenant and mercy for them that love him and observe his commandments.”
Nehemiah prayed without ceasing confessing “the sins of the children of Israel, which we have sinned against thee: both I and my father's house have sinned.” Nehemiah included himself as a sinner perhaps in keeping with Isaiah 64:6, “But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.”
Again drawing in part upon Donald K. Campbell list of 21 effective leadership exhibited by Nehemiah, several dealt with prayer.
5. He patiently waited for God’s timing.
7. He prayed at crucial times.
11. He took time (three days) to rest, pray, and plan.
21. He courageously used the authority of his position knowing that he was confronted with a situation he could not solve by himself. However, Nehemiah also knew that with God all things are possible.
Lessons learned include fasting is often done in combination with intense prayer creating a synergistic effect. Prayers are answered in God’s timing.  Isaiah 40:31, “But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.”
Prayers are to be passionate as in Nehemiah saying “I beseech you” and recognizing who God is, “the great and terrible God that keepeth covenant and mercy for them that love him and observe his commandments.” Twice I cried out to God at crucial times after injuring myself. I reminded God that “with his stripes we are healed.” Twice I was healed, with God all things are possible.
Getting proper rest is a failing with me. I allow myself to become so tired that when I start to pray at bedtime, I fall asleep. That said, I pray often during the day, however, falling asleep on God? Resting in His protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment