Saturday, June 25, 2016

Personal lessons from the Book of Nehemiah and do they apply today 513 - 7 - 3

Personal lessons from the Book of Nehemiah and do they apply today? To Donald K. Campbell lists of 21 characteristics necessary for effective leadership that Nehemiah exhibited I would add one more, he was metaphorically a “child of Issachar.”
1 Chronicles 12:32, “And of the children of Issachar, which were men that had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do; the heads of them were two hundred; and all their brethren were at their commandment.”
From Nehemiah we learn that one person can make a difference. Nehemiah was a man for such a time as his. Due to his Jewish contacts he stayed informed of events in Jerusalem and due to his court position, Nehemiah had the ear of the king. Rather than rushing into the king's presence informing him of the sorry state of the wall and gates in Jerusalem, he prayed and waited for God's timing.
In a week 4 post I shared several characterizes listed by Donald K. Campbell of the many characteristics of effective leadership evidenced by Nehemiah. I have since added a few more.
Nehemiah prayed at crucial times. He had a sense of mission and was willing to get involved. As stated above he patiently waited for God’s timing. He knew that he had the support of God and displayed God’s confidence and his (Nehemiah’s) self-confidence overcoming obstacles. Nehemiah was an overcomer.
Romans12:21. “Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.”
Nehemiah showed respect for the king and even though he was sad and “very sore afraid” he appeared before the King and respectfully answered a question with a question, "why should not my countenance be sad, when the city, the place of my fathers' sepulchres, lieth waste, and the gates thereof are consumed with fire?" Thus Nehemiah set in motion the fulfillment of Daniel 9.
As an ambassador of God am I willing to get involve in witnessing? Today being a Bible believing Christian is becoming less and less popular and in many cases not tolerated. Do I have the courage Nehemiah had in approaching his earthly king as I served my heavenly King?
Do I respect others’ beliefs while witnessing? Recall Nehemiah did not argue with opponents. I have educated myself as to the falsity of Islam and Mormonism, however, engaging Muslims and Mormons in a discussion is not easily done.
For years I witnessed to my good friend Abdul but my best efforts were met with a smile and a homemade meal. Last year I heard Abdul was very ill and his wife had passed away. Sadly, neither seem to have come to faith in Jesus. Currently I have no interactions with those of the Islamic faith.
I summer in an area that is heavily Mormon. Here I am dealing with brainwashing from a very early age. In talking to a good friend I realized that she has combined Mormonism with the New Age as she feels that she currently is a goddess rather that waiting to become a celestial goddess.
Nehemiah courageously used the authority of his position provided by his earthly king. So again the important question, do I as a Christians use the authority given me by our heavenly King Lord Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment