Monday, May 8, 2017

The Gentile centurion Jairus had great faith in Jesus 531-1 - 7 - 1

Often faith in Jesus was evidenced by Gentiles while the Israelis’ rejected Him. Jairus, the centurion, is just one example.
Jesus established His headquarters at Capernaum, a city of Galilee. The synagogue in Capernaum was built by the Gentile centurion Jairus who was well thought of by the elders of the synagogue. A servant of Jairus, more like a son, was near death so the elders asked Jesus to heal him.
Luke 7:6-7, “6 Then Jesus went with them. And when he was now not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to him, saying unto him, Lord, trouble not thyself: for I am not worthy that thou shouldest enter under my roof: 7 Wherefore neither thought I myself worthy to come unto thee: but say in a word, and my servant shall be healed.”
The centurion further said Luke 7:8, “For I also am a man set under authority, having under me soldiers, and I say unto one, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.”
Jarvis recognize the authority that Jesus had in his very utterance. Jesus was so impressed with Jairus’ faith that he said, “I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.” The servant was healed, healed at a distance.
I have been so amazed that after Jesus walked among the Israelis’ for 3 1/2 years teaching and performing miracles most did not believe He was the Messiah. The common people were looking for another King David, a conquering Messiah, not a suffering Messiah.
The Temple leaders were concerned that Jesus was too radical and would bring the wrath of Rome down on Israel. John 11:50, “Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.”  Also, I suspect they were protecting their turf.
Perhaps the unbelief of the common people could be excused but the Temple scholars? Daniel 9:25, “Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.”
To the day from the prophecy of Daniel Jesus told his disciples to “find a colt tied, whereon never man sat; loose him, and bring him.“ Mark 11:4, “And they went their way, and found the colt tied by the door without in a place where two ways met; and they loose him.” This also was in fulfillment of Zechariah 9:9, “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.”
How could those who knew the scriptures not recognize their Messiah? Luke 13:34, “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!” With that Jesus passed judgment on the people, “Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.”
As for me, my faith in Jesus as fully man and fully God is unshakable. Fulfillment of prophecies by Jesus provides head knowledge and the deep longing of my soul to be reunited with Jesus fills my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment