Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The responses of Simon and the woman that brought the ointment were very differient 531-1 - 7 - 4

Washing someone's feet is an act of self-effacement and a sign of respect.
When three supernatural beings called on the Patriarch Abraham he recognized them as such and didn’t hesitate, Genesis 18:4, “Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree.” Abraham had a meal prepared for them and stood by respectfully while they ate.
Eons later John records that Jesus, the Word, washed the feet of the disciples. John 13:5, “After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.”
Simon the Pharisee invited Jesus to eat with him. A woman of poor reputation “began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.” Simon thought ill of Jesus for allowing Himself to be touched by such a woman. Luke 7:40, “And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.” Thus, the parable of the creditor who had two debtors.
Then Jesus said to Simon Luke 7:45-47, “45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. 46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment. 47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.”
Fast forward to last Sunday. Pastor Bruce is taking a well-deserved vacation so Pastor Ken from Campers for Christ is filling in. Pastor Ken started telling a story from a book written by a woman who told of being totally frustrated with her husband.  Her husband was constantly away from home on business. He was a very successful but not the most sympathetic husband. She had a particularly frustrating day in which her children being normal children managed to get themselves very dirty. The woman was giving the children a bath when hubby came home. He immediately demanded, "Where's my dinner?"
Now where did I read that story as it sounded very familiar? Before she responded in kind the woman prayed for guidance. The shocking answer was “Wash his feet.” I then recognized the story. Pastor Ken said her name was Nancy but didn't remember the last name. Our church is informal so I called out Missler.
Pastor Ken went on to talk about Nancy's books and especially her book on Agape love. I completed Nancy's course, The Way of Agape, and remember her many entertaining and insightful stories.
As for me, I suspect I’m more like Simon as I tend to be judgmental, something I’m working on. Being prideful it would likely have taken a command from God to get me to wash my former husband’s feet. Perhaps if I had washed his feet….

No comments:

Post a Comment