Sunday, May 6, 2012

Discussion Questions -> 2. He touched me … and O the joy that floods my soul. Share a time that you have no doubts that God has touched you.

As a teen I had a passable voice and sang in the church choir for years. As a very little child I was twice selected to play Mary in the Christmas Pageant and sing to the baby Jesus. Oh how I loved Jesus even then and after years of losing my footing on the path I came full circle to that bottomless love. As a teenager I preferred classical music and opera to rock and roll. I feel the music as well as hearing it. Much as I enjoy the classical music Praise and Worship music plus the old hymns touch something very deep in my soul. I get emotional when singing “It is well with my Soul” partly from the sheer beauty of the hymn and partly from reading the story behind the composition.
“When peace, like a river, attendeth my way, when sorrows like sea billows roll; whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.”
Horatio Spafford had suffered great loss and was inspired to write these words as his ship passed near where his daughters had died in a ship wreck.
So strange as it may sound my glasses often hide tears of joy when I sing praises to God in church. The years haven’t been kind to my voice which now has a frog like quality, however, I will someday sing perfectly in God’s praise choir. Oh the joy!
A fellow-up
Today I was driving from the far west side of Arizona to the Palm Springs area on I-10. The desert goes on and on for nearly a hundred miles. I was listening to the song “I AM,” part of a collection called Messianic Praise on the Maranatha Music label. Watching the panorama of the desert one could nearly imagine seeing Jesus and His disciples who walked in “The dust of the Messiah.”
Touched by God, absolutely!

No comments:

Post a Comment