Wednesday, May 23, 2012

How do changes in the velocity of light impact our world views? 502-1 - 2 - 3

That the velocity of light is decreasing is rather disturbing to me and my long held beliefs concerning the laws of physics. The question takes me back decades to when I was in high school and reading about the Special Theory of Relativity. I was drawn to people with brains and who could be more interesting than the late Dr. Einstein.

I’ve really had to scratch off the decades of inertia from my gray matter to recall my early readings of Dr. Einstein’s simplified explanation of the Special Theory of Relativity. As an example, the equation M/ (1-v2/c2)-2 limits the velocity (v) of say a space ship should we have the technology to create spaceships that could travel at great speeds. The speed could not be greater than the speed of light (c) since as it approached the velocity of light (1-v2/c2)-2 would approach zero and mass would approach infinity. At greater speeds we would have an imaginary number. The relationship of v2 to c2 held in the other equations dealing with time and gravity. I think my memory is correct and if my computer supported the square root symbol this formula would look more readable.
So now that it seems the speed of light is decreasing, will mass tend to zero? Will time be speeded up? My head is spinning! The impact on the world view could be that if at the time of creation the speed of light were unlimited, the universe would appear much older when calculating the distance of stars, etc. using today’s speed of light.
Back in my days of high school when nothing seems impossible I really thought I would someday solve the Unified Field Theory and tie everything into a neat bundle. After high school came marriage and children and then college. A few college level math and physics courses and I knew I was sadly lacking the IQ to do more than dream.
Now I realize that God is the One who has tied everything into a neat bundle. I can use the fact that the speed of light is decreasing in discussing a young earth. God is so awesome!

Added later:

The above was a difficult question to deal with. I heard so many times in my life that the speed of light is about 186,000 miles per second and that light can travel around the circumference of the earth 7 ½ times in a second. It is amazing to think that after our sun, the next closest star, Alpha Centauri, is more than four light years away by today’s speed of light.

I’m still trying to wrap my mind around Psalm 104:2, “Who cover Yourself with light as with a garment, Who stretch out the heavens like a curtain.” Also Isaiah 42:5, “Thus says God the Lord, Who created the heavens and stretched them out, Who spread forth the earth and that which comes from it, Who gives breath to the people on it, And spirit to those who walk on it:"

That the speed of light is decreasing helps to explain the great distances in the universe occurring nearly instantaneously, however, sometimes my biggest problem is the space between my ears

No comments:

Post a Comment