Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Damage Done by Christians with a Weak Hermeneutics 522 - 6-8

A weak Hermeneutics leads one to an allegorical hermeneutic which in turn will tend one toward Amillennialism. This can lead one to the heresy of “Replacement Theology" and to the view that:

1. Israel forfeited her promises when she rejected her Messiah

2. The promises to Abraham passed to the Church

3. All the Old Testament covenants were conditional

Bill O'Reilly of Fox news has, as I understand it, the most popular show on cable TV. Actually I think he has surpassed network channels as well. I usually watch and enjoy his show but I've noticed a trend lately. I think the history series “The Bible” has been making him nervous. Of course he's a Catholic and talks about attending Catholic school as a child and has even written a book about it. What is disturbing to me is that he referred to the Old Testament as mostly allegorical. I kind of tapped my ear to be sure I heard him correctly and then again a few nights ago he repeated this. Bill was interviewing Roma Downey and her husband Mark Burnett about their production of the miniseries, The Bible" on the History Channel. He tried in every way possible to get a rise from them by again saying the Old Testament was allegorical. I seem to recall that Bill even asked Roma if she believed in creation all that “stuff.” He obviously was looking for a reaction from her, however, she answered in a positive but non-argumentative way, indicating that she considers the Bible to be the word of God.

What is disturbing is the fact that Bill O'Reilly is so popular and is a professing Christian who is denying biblical truth. I've said before that I'm less concerned about the damage done by atheists than I am by those who profess to be Christians and then speak the lies of the father of liars.

As a discussion question in session 5 I wrote about missed Opportunities in the mini-series, “The Bible” and was rather critical about the many missed opportunities. "The first three of five episodes of the miniseries 'The Bible' ignored most messianic prophecies so an opportunity to lend more credibility to the divinity of Jesus was missed. The prophecy of Isaiah concerning the virgin birth was about the only messianic prophecy I caught. While beautifully done, the manger scene was reminiscent of the Christmas pageants of my childhood."
 
So while the miniseries "The Bible" left much to be desired from the standpoint of ignoring fulfilled prophecies, it certainly did get much of mainstream America involved in the story. Good for you Roma Downey and your husband and shame on you Bill O'Reilly.

No comments:

Post a Comment