Wednesday, April 3, 2013

What can separate us from the love of Christ? Under what circumstances? 534-1 - 10-3

To quote CM, “Chapter 8 opens with no possibility of condemnation, and closes with no possibility of separation." Wonderful and true!

The apostle Paul always says it so well. Romans 8:38-39, “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

If we are truly a child of God, nothing can separate us from the love of Christ. That said, if I had to depend on myself, I don't know how I could maintain my salvation. When Jesus ascended he said that the comforter would come. I am justified through Jesus' death on the cross and my acceptance of that gift so freely given. By the continuing activity of the Holy Spirit in me I am growing towards sanctification.

Romans 8:28 “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” I know that nothing can separate me from the love of Christ, however, it is not through my effort but through the Holy Spirit working through me.

I have wandered away from the Word a number of times throughout my life. At those times nothing really worked out well in my life. Then the Holy Spirit would seem to nudge me the back to living more in accord wit the Word.

Years ago I crewed on a small sailboat a few times. It was fascinating that we could go forward by going against the wind. In this case we would tack into the wind at an angle and the boat would be propelled forward. How often I seem to be propelled in a direction that I really don't want to go. I have to hold fast to the faith that all things work together for good for most assuredly, I love God.

No comments:

Post a Comment