Monday, November 25, 2013

Why (or how) is baptism important to you? Have you been baptized? 532-1 - 2 -5

I was raised in a conservative protestant church and baptized as a baby; an event of which I have no memory. I attended Sunday school for as long as I can remember and sang in the junior and the senior choir. After college I wandered far off the path, however, my early love of Jesus kept me from becoming totally lost, thank you Lord Jesus.

Years later I started attending the First Baptist Church of Quartzsite, Arizona. In addition to the church services I went to prayer meetings and Bible studies. I can still remember vividly sitting in the Bible study when Acts 2:37-38 was brought up, “Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.”

I took the Bible study down a rabbit hole by asking how was it possible to repent of sin before being baptized as an infant. I found out about full immersion baptism only after you were old enough to understand the commitment being made. Once I started researching the subject I felt that my Christian walk was incomplete. I know that we are saved by grace through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ but I was convicted of the necessity of a full immersion baptism as an act of obedience. Well I opened a can of worms with my family. My mother was hurt and said “I had you baptized as a baby and I gave you your Baptismal Certificate years ago.” My brother ragged on me for a couple months about it and thought I was being disrespectful of the family and generally being my rather weird self.

One fall when I came back to Quartzsite for the winner I found out that there was going to be a special baptism service at the Baptist Church; the first one a few years. I talked to Pastor John and after consultation he agreed to include me in the baptismal service.

Again, I didn't doubt my salvation but I just was totally convicted of the requirement for an adult baptism to confirm my faith. Through immersion baptism I was symbolically buried and resurrected with Christ.


Ephesians 2:7-9,That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:Not of works, lest any man should boast.”

No comments:

Post a Comment