Monday, November 25, 2013

Why was David’s census so displeasing to God? 512 - 5 -3

Acts 13:22, “And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave their testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.”
David may have been a man after God’s heart, however, it didn’t keep him from incurring God’s displeasure from time to time. After King David became ruler over rather a vast empire he decided to take a census. In the Book of Numbers we read that the people were numbered at God's command. That said, David has no such dictates from God to take a census. By performing a Census David was giving glory to himself rather than to God. Pride, the sin most hated by God. Add to that, David was relying on the force of sheer numbers rather than on God.
Prior to reading this account I would have thought David’s adultery with the married Bathsheba and arranging the murder of her husband would count is far worse sins by God than the taking of a census. Interestingly enough, it seems that these were considered to be personal sins on the part of David and not as worthy of God’s displeasure as relying on a census rather than God.

From David we learn that our actions have consequences. Although he repented his people paid a penalty for his transgression. As with David, when I’m in fellowship with God my life just seems to go very well. Nevertheless, for me pride is a major sin. I've come through some real trials in my life and have done rather well; to God goes the glory as I have been so very blessed by Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment