Saturday, October 18, 2014

Being a “Hosea” so God can manifest His Love through me 503 - 2 - 1

Hosea 5:3, “I know Ephraim, and Israel is not hid from me: for now, O Ephraim, thou committest whoredom, and Israel is defiled.” Here whoredom is figuratively to commit idolatry; the Jewish people being regarded as the spouse of Jehovah, to (cause to) commit fornication, play the harlot.

The Prophet Hosea was to the Northern Kingdom what Jeremiah would later be to the Southern Kingdom. God used Hosea in dealing with the apostasy of the Northern Kingdom. In the first three chapters of the Book of Hosea he was instructed to marry a harlot and father three children; Jezreel (scattered), Lo-Ruhamah (not loved), and Lo-Ammi (not my people). The children were so named as they would be prophetic models for that time when Israel would be set aside.

God cannot condone sin and suffers when His people are unfaithful to Him, however, He will never stop loving His own. Thankfully He seeks to win back those who have forsaken Him.

A little background. King Jeroboam and his army had recovered all of the territory previously lost. While their previous loss had been a harbinger from God to repent the Northern Kingdom did not repent, rather they reveled in material prosperity. However, God saw it differently, that they had exchanged their heritage for pagan worship with the result of the downward spiral of morals (spiritual adultery) that accompanies spiritual ingratitude.

Eventually the children would be renamed. “And I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God.”
Hosea presents a prerequisite to the Second Coming; Hosea 5:15, “I will go and return to my place, till they acknowledge their offence, and seek my face: in their affliction they will seek me early.”

But as usual I digress. So back to the question would I be willing to be a “Hosea” so God can manifest His Love through you? I’m really not sure how to answer this as I would pray that God can manifest his love through me. However as I mentioned last week I tend to be critical of others as well is judgmental.

A few months ago I set up a little shop in what is a combination indoor flea market/ mini mall. One of my fellow vendors is very much into the New Age and has such a loving personality that she sees only the good in people. My heart goes out to her because she, like so many, is rushing down the wide path that leads to destruction. I don’t try to persuade her that Jesus is the only way, rather I am open about my relationship with Jesus and pray that some of my subtle hints eventually land on fertile ground. Perhaps both of us will make progress, my friend with seeking a relationship with Jesus and me by becoming a better person through whom God can manifest his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment