Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Spending time alone with the Lord every day in order to live God’s “Way of Agape?” 503 - 1 - 5

For some reason this discussion question made me think back to an early class here at KI, Introduction to Spiritual Disciplines. At that time I was going through a very rough time emotionally. I had left my home in Arizona to help care for my mother in California. I found that I was very out of step with the majority the people from California who seem to be  New Agers, Atheist, Agnostic, Catholic, or indifferent to faith. The aforementioned discussion question concerned "Walking with God.” To me there seems to be an equivalency between spending time alone with God and walking with God. Both require daily/ hourly “Selah Moments.”
I took the time to reflect on Micah 6:8, “He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?” I count it as a great blessing that years ago I bought several Cd's by The Maranatha Singers which I copied to my computers and NowBible MP3 player. When I would question “Why Me God,” I put on a headphone and listened to these Praise and Worship Songs including Micah 6:8. Another much needed Selah Moment and I rested in the knowledge that God had planted me in California where he wanted me to be at that time. After about 18 months I returned to my Arizona home and a cousin pretty much moved in with my mother. So for a little more than a year my life has been pretty much back to normal and I once again have my quiet time with God.
This brought me to another Introduction to Spiritual Disciplines discussion question concerning being a friend of God. Being a friend to God doesn't mean being his buddy, rather it means to obey him and be very much in awe of His Majesty. To walk with God; not walking ahead of God and not walking behind God. If I try to walk ahead of God I am basically trying to do it my way. If I walk behind God I lose that connection with him and can stumble. As friends we should spend quiet time together, “Selah Moments.” I must be worthy of God and as Jesus said in Matthew 11:29-30, “Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
But I digress, other than when I wake up and as I go to sleep my prayer time with God follows no real pattern. Throughout the day I reflect on God and often say thank you for all your blessings. I often pray that I will be a better and more loving person. I tend to be critical and judgmental, characteristics that don’t lend themselves to being very lovable. That said, the more quiet time I have with God the better I am at relating to other people in a more loving manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment