Tuesday, March 11, 2014

List five characteristics of wisdom. Who is the wisest person you know? Why? 516 - 3 - 1

After struggling with answering the first part of this question. I realize that I lack wisdom when it comes to knowing what wisdom actually is. I think wisdom would have been to select a different discussion question, however, here goes my rather feeble attempt.
Proverbs 9:10, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom” This is not fear in the usual sense rather it is having a right relationship with God, of being  absolutely in awe of God, holding him in complete respect and being obedient to His will.
According to CM, Wisdom has several definitions. The traditional definition entails the ability to use knowledge in the right way. My problem with this definition is who is the arbitrator of what is the right way?
I understand that there is World Wisdom and Biblical Wisdom. According to Paul in 1 Corinthians 2 he speaks to people not in human wisdom, but rather wisdom based on God’s power. Paul speaks of God’s wisdom as being a mystery that has been hidden from the foundation of time. I gather from James 3 that earthly wisdom is evidenced by lifestyle and deeds. In describing Heavenly wisdom, James writes in 3:17-18. "But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness."
As for five characteristics of wisdom, I’ve taken this from our class notes, practical sagacity, mental acumen, and functional skill, but it also includes moral, upright living which stems from a right relationship with the Lord.”
I have been blessed to have a very good and wise friend J. For years J has hosted a Bible study in a tent adjacent to her home here in the Arizona desert. These Bible studies are held on Thursday morning and this year J took advantage of the opportunity to have two highly revered evangelical pastors take over her class time. No pride of authorship here as she not only welcomed these guest speakers, she also provided an environment in which we could all learn. . Jay is a purveyor of great wisdom and is an outstanding servant of God. 
Often when I had a problem and/or felt the need for guidance I talk to J and she always listens quietly and gently guides me towards a decision/ conclusion. Jay has given me emotional support at times when I really needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment