Thursday, March 20, 2014

What is the danger of strife? What is the major cause of strife? How have you handled this in your life? 516 - 5 2

Strife relates to contention and contention has pride is as root cause. Strife can destroy marriages, break up relationships, both personal and business, cause dissension within the church, and more.

Strife is found throughout the Bible, beginning with Genesis 13:7, "And there was a strife between the herdmen of Abram's cattle and the herdmen of Lot's cattle: and the Canaanite and the Perizzite dwelled then in the land."

In Psalms, there is a reference made to the pride of man; Psalm 31:20, "Thou shalt hide them in the secret of thy presence from the pride of man: thou shalt keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues."

Many Proverbs refer to strife including:

Proverbs 15:18, "A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but he that is slow to anger appeaseth strife."

Proverbs 16:28, "A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends."

Proverbs 17:1, "Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than an house full of sacrifices with strife." A big Amen to that!

Even amongst the disciple there was some contention as to who would have the seat of honor when Jesus came into his kingdom. Luke 22:24, "And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest."

Paul had say this to say about strife. 1 Timothy 6:4, "He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,"
James was very direct in his council. James 3:16, "For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work."

As for me, I do my best to avoid strife, as it often is counterproductive. Whenever possible, I removed myself from the situation. If I find myself in a situation in which I have little control, I internalize the stress and actually can get quite ill. While in my last job in the corporate world I found myself in a very destructive environment. People were being laid off and the rumor mill was going into overdrive. My job was secure, however, the stress of friends being laid off and the constant backbiting resulted in my becoming physically ill. After several trips to urgent care to get injections to stop my vomiting and the pain from horrific headaches, it was determined that I had walking pneumonia. I took of voluntary layoff. Proverbs 17:14, "The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with."

With thanks to e-Sword and Strong’s, 16 topics found for Strife including:
H1777
דּוּן    דּין
dîyn  dûn
deen, doon
A primitive root (compare H113); to rule; by implication to judge (as umpire); also to strive (as at law): - contend, execute (judgment), judge, minister judgment, plead (the cause), at strife, strive.
Related:
H4808
מריבה
merîybâh
mer-ee-baw'
From H7378; quarrel: - provocation, strife.

No comments:

Post a Comment