Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Examples of “unsaving faith.” 532-2 - 19 - 6

Proverbs 1:22, “How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?”
In his comments concerning “The Pathology of Faith” CM states that Unsaving Faith can be either vain faith or dead faith. Vain faith involves belief in the wrong doctrine with the example given being 1 Corinthians 15:14-17. If Jesus had not risen from the dead ours would be a vain faith. However, we know that Jesus did, indeed rise from the dead, and we believe in a risen Savior.
Dead Faith is faith in an orthodox doctrine without personal belief in Jesus. Here CM mentions James 2:18, “Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.”
Religion is man’s attempt to reach up to God usually by works. Many expect to go to heaven because they go to church and are good rather than placing their faith in Jesus. Ephesians 2:8, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God." Salvation is a free gift, however, one that has to be accepted. Then, like James, we can say I will show you my faith by my good works emanating from my faith.
As for dead doctrine, some religions invent their own concept of Jesus. The Islamic Jesus would mimic the Christian False Prophet. Although Mormons often claim to be Christian their prophet has the last word concerning Mormon doctrine as does the Catholic Pope regarding Catholic doctrine.
Catholics have their purgatory, masses for the dead and the buying of indulgences. This certainly contradicts Ephesians 2:8, and basically calls Jesus a liar when He cried from the cross “It is finished.” Matthew 6:7, "But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking." Or, in the case of the Catholic service, vain repetitions, as the priest chants one thing and the congregation chants the prescribed reply.
In the case of Islam, one never really know if he or she has done enough to please Allah to be allowed entrée into paradise until his or her death. The one exception being if you should die in jihad.
To me the cornerstone of the evangelical believer is that our cornerstone, Jesus, was our sacrificial lamb who died to reconcile fallen man with a righteous God. 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:"
Job 19:25, "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth"

No comments:

Post a Comment