Thursday, September 6, 2012

List each of the seven churches with a summary sentence of the personal application we can learn from each one. Which one speaks to you the most?BIB 547-1-9-7

The church in Ephesus is the Church of the Apostolic Age. The people were so busy bringing people into the Kingdom that they didn’t spend enough time in their devotional life. I tend to get caught up in my studies and trying to be an apologist in chat rooms and my blog. I do not spend enough time in devotion to God. I am currently taking three KI courses and find that I can keep up, however, rather than closing the day in prayer I spend that precious time doing my homework. I decided that two courses are enough to keep me engaged in study while leaving more time for devotion to the only one who truly matters.
Smyrna is the Persecuted Church and was told by Jesus to hang in there through horrific persecution. The Christians at Smyrna had nothing negative said about them. Like the people in the church of Smyrna I’m born twice so I will die only once.
Pergamus is the Compromising Church who had a “mixed marriage” with the pagans. The lesson here is that staying focused on the Word will keep me from falling into the trap of distorted teachings.
The church in Thyatira is the church of the dark ages also known today as the Roman Catholic Church. The church is mired in the trap of legalism and teaches a corrupted Christianity. The finished work of Jesus on the cross is not enough to the Catholics. The lesson to me is stand strong in my faith and that when Jesus said “it is finished” it truly was finished. Since this is the only church that has been promised that it is going to go into the tribulation, I sure don’t want any part of it or its false teachings.
Sardis is the church of the Reformation that started as a blessing to the world in that it freed people from the legalism of the Catholic Church. Most of these churches today teach replacement theology. Few members actually carry a Bible into church. The church at Sardis is told by Jesus they are dead but to be watchful, hold fast and repent. Organized religion is not for me and I much prefer small groups.
The church at Philadelphia is the missionary church and, like the church at Smyrna, has no indictments from Jesus, They will be raptured before the Tribulation and like most of us I would like to think that my membership is in the church of Philadelphia. For reasons mentioned above, the church at Ephesus would be more applicable to me.
The church in Laodicea is comparable to the mega-churches of today that preach the gospel of name it and claim it to members of the “me” generation. It is a lukewarm church, neither hot nor cold. Jesus said, “I will vomit you out of My mouth.” The lesson here is once more to stay focused on the Word as the absolute authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment