Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What does it mean to you that Christ became sin for us? What did He give up BIB 534-1 - 07-6

God stepped out of eternity and suffered so much on our account. In keeping with Genesis and the Scarlet Thread, Jesus was born of a virgin. Like CM theorizes, I would suspect that Jesus had a rather humiliating childhood due to the belief that He was illegitimate. Psalm 69:12, "They that sit in the gate speak against me; and I was the song of the drunkards."

Jesus' siblings likely gave Him a hard time because of the mystery surrounding His birth. Psalm 69:8, "I am become a stranger unto my brethren, and an alien unto my mother's children." His brother James didn't believe in his divinity until after the resurrection.

Much as I would suspect that Jesus felt abandoned during his childhood, this would be nothing to the abandonment by God while on the cross. During those last several hours our righteous God could not even look at the Lamb who had taken on the sins of the world. The agony of despair that Jesus felt must be akin to that felt by those who are lost in an eternity of the absence of God.

What did Jesus give up in addition to suffering the extreme agony and humiliation of being nearly beaten to death and then being nailed and hung from a cross? I cannot begin to imagine what it must have been like for Jesus as he cried out “my God my God why have you forsaken me?"

As for what it means to me that Christ became sin for us, it granted us the opportunity to be forgiven of our sins and spend eternity with Him. And it also means that I should become a better person to honor Jesus who suffered so much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment