Saturday, August 4, 2012

How is baptism an outward sign of our faith? BIB 536-2-4

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.” Romans 6:4-6
Having been brought up in a conservative Protestant church I was baptized as an infant and have no memory of it. Years later I started attending a First Baptist Church. One evening at a Bible study the following verse was quoted, “Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” Acts 2:38 KJV. That night I sent the Bible study plunging down a rabbit hole. “How could a baby repent?” I asked. As the Bible study progressed I felt a growing suspicion that perhaps I had not been properly baptized.
Soon after that I left for my mother’s home to help care for her for several months. Towards the end of my stay at my mom’s I had a total knee replacement and was concerned about going into surgery without having been properly baptized. I prayed really hard that God would understand and cut me some slack should I not survive the simple surgery. Well I survived and returned to the Baptist Church. As luck would have it there was going to be a baptismal service in a few weeks so I said, count me in. I was counseled by Pastor John and though not a member was baptized. I think my mother’s feelings were hurt because she said, “But I gave your baptismal certificate” and my brother thought I had lost my mind and was marginalizing our church upbringing.
I would like to be able to give some profound sounding spiritual reason for insisting on full immersion baptism as an adult. I would like to think that I went under the water a sinner and came out cleansed, that I imitated Jesus in the tomb and died to self and was resurrected. No, my adult full immersion baptism was simply an act of obedience. From the time I heard the words repent and be baptized until I was truly baptized I felt that something wasn't quite right in my life. My baptism in my senior years was a profession of faith through my obedience. Just as through all my wandering years Jesus never let go of my hand because I belong to him, I knew I would not be satisfied until I was truly baptized in His name. Thank you Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment