Wednesday, August 29, 2012

What are the two purposes of Christ’s redemptive work? What does this mean to you in your life? BIB 536-4-6.

What would I have if Jesus never walked the earth and taken up His cross? Without the redemptive work done by Christ on the cross I would be subjected to the heresies of the pagans or a slave to the Law. As a pagan I would be condemned or if I were attempting to follow the Law, to quote James 2:10, “For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.”
As the old hymn goes, “Redeemed, redeemed, Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb; Redeemed, redeemed, His child, and forever, I am.”
Galatians 3:13 “Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree.” Jesus was made a curse for us and His soul an offering for sin.
Two purposes for Christ’s redemptive work are given:
1. Gentiles might receive the promised blessing of justification apart from works of the Law, available to all who believe. We are given adoption as Sons. Luke 20:36 "Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection."
2. All who thus believe might receive the promise of the Holy Spirit. In the time of the Old Testament the Spirit came upon people however with the the Ascension of Jesus the Holy Spirit would be indwelling in us. Jesus said that he had to leave so that the comforter could come.
John 14:15-17, "If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you."
Again and again, Paul tried to impress upon the Galatians that they were justified by faith and no longer in bondage to the Law. Romans 8:15, “For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.” And again, Romans 8:16 “The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:”
What does this mean in my life? As the famous quote goes, "I was saved, I am saved and I will be saved." Saved through the redemptive work of Christ. I am justified by faith and I will someday be with Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment