Saturday, October 14, 2017

Psalm 33:3, sing praises onto the Lord 515-1 - 7 - 3

Psalm 33:3, “Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.”
As a young child I was blessed to play the part of Mary singing to the baby Jesus two years in our church’s Christmas Pageant. Growing up I sang in both the junior and senior church choir. My ambition was to sing “O Holy Night” as a soloist but I had to settle for singing in with two other girls in our high school choir. Sadly, my sweet little soprano voice has long since abandoned me.
I often joke that a frog slipped down my throat while asleep.  That said, my favorite times include singing in church, especially the Praise and Worship Songs based on the Psalms. I never really learned to play a musical instrument so no playing skillfully. Nevertheless, I make a loud noise when singing in church.
Praise and Worship Songs are usually upbeat so there is still the love of the old hymns. “It is Well With my Soul” is powerful especially considering the hymn’s background.
Horatio G. Spafford was a successful lawyer and businessman in Chicago with a wife Anna and four daughters, previously they had lost their only son to pneumonia. In 1873, the French ocean liner, Ville du Havre was crossing the Atlantic from the U.S. to Europe with 313 passengers including Mrs. Spafford and her four daughters. Mr. Spafford was to follow a few days later. The Ville du Havre collided with another ship and was lost. Anna Spafford was one of the few survivors.  
Mr. Spafford booked passage on the next available ship. When about four days out, the captain called Spafford to his cabin and told him they were over the place where the Ville du Havre went down taking his daughters.
Mr. Spafford wrote “It Is Well With My Soul” while on this journey.
“When peace like a river attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll,
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.”
This is reminiscent of 2 Samuel 12 and King David saying after the death of his first son by Bathsheba, “But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.” Painful as it for Christians to lose loved ones, the knowledge of being together again is a great solace.
As for “Sing unto him a new song,” when the Lord takes me home either through physical death or the Blessed Hope, I’ll be singing in his heavenly choir with a glorified body and voice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment