Friday, October 20, 2017

Psalm 39, a rather depressing Psalm - 515-1 - 8 - 3

Psalm 39:1, “I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.”
Tongue, H3956, skipping eating and licking, From H3960, to wag the tongue, that is, to calumniate (make false and defamatory statements about); accuse, slander.
James, the brother of Jesus was vocal in his opinion of the tongue. James 3:5-6, “5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.”
Psalm 39:2, “I was dumb with silence, I held my peace, even from good; and my sorrow was stirred.” Through his severe trials King David was determined not to rebel or complain against the Lord around unbelievers; to be a stumbling block.
Psalm 39:3, “My heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned: then spake I with my tongue,” Perhaps King David was finally overcome with indignation at his suffering so when alone he shared a questioning prayer with the Lord.
Psalm 39:4-6 "LORD, how long is this nightmare going to last? Tell me how much time I have left, and when it is going to run out. At best the span of my life is only about the width of my palm; compared to Your eternity, my lifetime isn't worth mentioning. All of us humans are as unsubstantial as a vapor. We go through life like phantoms. We rush around in frenzied activity—but what does it all amount to after all? We spend our lives scrimping and saving, and leave it all behind to be enjoyed by ingrates or fools or strangers!”
[Believer’s Bible Commentary]
King David finally ended this depressing Psalm; Psalm 39:12-13, “12 Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were. 13 O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more.”
King David referred to the brevity of his earthly life, that he was a sojourner passing through. He was beseeching the Lord to recover his strength before he departed his earthly walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment