Friday, October 27, 2017

Psalm 42 - As The Deer 515-1 - 9 - 1

Psalm 42:1-2, “1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. 2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?” 
Hart, H354, a stag or male deer: - hart. properly strength; hence anything strong; specifically a chief (politically); also a ram (from his strength); a pilaster (as a strong support); an oak or other strong tree: - mighty (man), lintel, oak, post, ram, tree.
Panteth, H6165, to long for, cry, pant.
Thirsteth, H6770, It indicates a strong desire and need for water to drink. Here it is used in beautiful metaphors of the soul thirsting for God.
In researching Psalm 42 I found there are three conclusions concerning just what this great thirst really is. Is the voice of David as he wandered in exile during the rebellion of Absalom? Or is it our Messiah who was subjected to rejection and suffering. Or the Jewish remnant during the Great Tribulation.
Water is necessary for physical life and living water for the soul. At the end of the Feast of Tabernacles Jesus cried out, John 7:37-38, “37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.” This invitation was extended to anyone who come to Him. In Jesus is a reservoir of living water and as we receive we shall let flow to others.
So yes, this great thirst is also mine! My soul pants for Jesus. Nevertheless, “when shall I come and appear before God” I know I’ll be overwhelmed by the knowledge of my sins.
The Maranathal singers created the song “As The Deer” that speaks to this thirst:
Verse 1
“As the deer panteth for the water
So my soul longeth after Thee
You alone are my heart's desire
And I long to worship Thee
Chorus 1
You alone are my strength my shield
To You alone may my spirit yield
You alone are my heart's desire
And I long to worship Thee”
Jesus is our King and so much more, He is our propitiation. Jesus fills that empty spot in my being and as the deer pants….

No comments:

Post a Comment